Research Centers and Research Units
The diversity and interdisciplinary nature of the research at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz is clearly demonstrated by the numerous initiatives in which the researchers get involved. Especially distinguished are the subject-based Research Centers and Research Units.
Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz organizes its cutting-edge research in its following Research Centers (Strongholds) in which excellent work groups are concentrated in joint research fields and have the aspiration to be competitive at the national and the international level. From 2014 to 2016, they are being financially supported by the Rhineland-Palatinate Ministry of Science, Continuing Education, and Cultural Affairs.
- Center for Innovative and Emerging Materials (CINEMA) in close collaboration with the Graduate School of Excellence Materials Science in Mainz (MAINZ)
Research Center Translational Medicine
This is structured in the three facilities Research Center for Immunotherapy (FZI), Focus Program Translational Neurosciences (FTN) and Center for Translational Vascular Biology (CTVB)
In a competitive selection process with external expertise under the auspices of the University’s Gutenberg Research College (GRC), the following nine so-called Research Units (High Potentials) were selected for their specific potential for interdisciplinary research. From 2014 to 2016, they are being financially supported by the Rhineland-Palatinate Ministry of Science, Continuing Education, and Cultural Affairs.
- BiomaTiCS – Biomaterials, Tissues and Cells in Science
- Gene Regulation in Evolution and Development (GeneRED)
- Historical Cultural Sciences (HKW)
- Interdisciplinary Public Policy (IPP)
- Media Convergence (website in German)
- Center for Computational Sciences in Mainz (CSM)
- Social and Cultural Studies Mainz (SoCuM)
- Volcanoes and Atmosphere in Magmatic Open Systems (VAMOS)
- Center for Educational and Higher Educational Research (ZSBH)